Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wednesday Recap (Hockey, Mike and Mike, and Philly)

Mike and Mike
Tuesday was probably the best show we've had on JC Sports so something had to offset it. And it didn't take long. The very first call on Wednesday's show is the same guy who was the first ever call to the show. And he ran out the same line. "Get this crap off the air; I want Mike and Mike back on." Then another call follows. "I agree with the last caller. I hate this show; get Mike and Mike back on."
After accidentally being disconnected I asked for Yankee Jerry to call back and he did. Although he let it be known he was Sal from Philly. So I asked him,” What do you like so much about Mike and Mike?" His response was dead silence. Finally after pondering such a complicated question he told me I hadn't brought up the hockey playoffs and all we ever talk about is football. We weren't more than 5 minutes into the show, but he was right we don't talk hockey on JC Sports.
I can understand why the Mike and Mike audience would not be interested in listening to JC Sports. This show is everything they aren't. Original, real, true, and most of it is improvisation. Who knows, I may have a co-host one day. But I can promise you'll never hear me take a black or white side just to have an easy debate. In some areas you can have a gray issue. Here's a typical day on Mike and Mike. Who's better Boston or New York?
Golic: Give me Boston because of their grittiness and I like their blue collar approach.
Greenberg: Ewww. Grittiness? Blue Collar? That's nasty. Give me a martini and put me in the skybox at The Stadium.
Golic: Skybox, are you crazy? Bleachers.
Greenberg: Skybox
Golic: Bleachers
Greenberg: Let's settle this debate we have Peter Gammons on for the 25th show in a row. Peter what's better the skybox or the bleachers?
Gammons, Golic, and Greenberg: All erupt in laughter about how one is fat and the other gay.
On a show last week Greenberg went on for an hour about coaching his kid's first little league game. Nobody wants to hear about my girlfriend giving me grief about not taking out the trash. That's the same crap you get on Everybody Loves Raymond. You like canned sitcoms? Then Mike and Mike and Everybody Loves Raymond are for you. Mike and Mike give you two predictable black/white sides to an issue. One canned take from the fat ex jock and the other from the clubbing metrosexual. Turn your television on ESPN2 for that crap or invest in XM radio.

And Philly guy we'll never talk hockey on the show. The season is 10 months long, you can't see the puck, and we are in Florida. There is a reason hockey is shown on the Ocho. I have no idea why people from the northeast think anyone down here cares about how great everything is up there. Philly is a city who has a huge inferiority complex with New York and is hell bent on taking it out on the entire country. They take pride in being white trash, and for some reason find it noble. When is the last time this city won anything? They have the Big 5 in College Basketball (none of them have been relevant in 20 years), Eagles (no SBs), 76ers (garbage), and the Phillies (nothing). They aren't nearly as accomplished as New York or Boston and are still bitter about the capital being a couple hours south. If you want to talk Philly sports then log on WIP and get bitter with them. I don't care how you do it up north. If it's so wonderful...go back.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I still maintain we need to have Spelling Bee Friday. :-P
-Carmen

Unknown said...

Don't they show Hockey on the Women's Entertainment Network or something like that? Honestly Hocky is kind of fun to watch in person occasionally. I put it on par with going to the zoo. Every once in a while you are like hey I have not smelled animal waste and seen monkeys fling their poo in a long time lets go to the zoo! Then you go, its okay, and you don't do it again for like three years.
I, and judging by the ratings most of America, would rather watch re-runs of last years NFL regular season games than watch this years NHL Finals.

As far as Mike and Mike if you like them you just dont like Sports. I agree with you JC they have a latent homosexuality thing going on mixed in with a bad sitcom. CAN YOU JUST GIVE ME SOME SPORTS NEWS I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR WIFE MADE FOR DINNER OR WHAT BAD SHOW YOUR DAUGHTER WATCHES! Philly Bob stop calling and ruining the show. get back to yoru horrible job cleaning ceptic tanks or applying roof tar or whatever you do to earn you 8 bucks and hour. JC you are doing a great job keep it coming!

King Cotton said...

Do you remember the Southwest airlines commercials promoting Philadelphia? It was great a big company couldn't even come up with a clever way to get visitors there. The asked natives of Shitadelphia to describe what makes Philly good. We got the Liberty Bell,cheese steaks it's like a baby New York. Lots of culture there's the Liberty Bell eh there is the Liberty Bell the place where Rocky ran up the stairs and the Liberty Bell. Let me sink my hard earned dollars going there. You convinced me citizens of Philadelphia I want to visit right now. Don't forget your abundence of hookers and wops with with inferiority complexs.

Migofast said...

I actually really like your show.....I get sick of listening to Greenbergs constant whining and bantering....

Go Dolphins.